It’so June WorldBuilding So I’m building Worlds! Aerax/Expectant Woods over on Patreon, and Bear Empire and a new thing here!
(mostly Bear Empire now, though I’ll make sure I at least post everything I wrote on the Ezra IV Colonies)
13- What type of economic structures do they follow?
As a whole, the Bear Empire works on a mostly-capitalist structure; that is, people sell goods and services for currency to buy other goods and services.
The exceptions to this are as follows:
* There are still large portions of the Empire (mind you, not lovely portions or anything, but portions) where land is free. As long as you have four adults or more willing to agree to live there for at least five years, the local governor will build you a house and a barn and give you up to 200 acres (although in many cases measuring those acres is complicated. Ever measure horizontal land up the side of a mountain?).
* Taxes to the Shire, the [governor-area] and the Empire cover first and primarily infrastructure, but a portion is put aside every year for the following:
– relief for areas stricken by famine or disaster (inside the borders or, to a lesser degree, outside of them)
– Aid for the poor
– basic reading, writing, and religious education for all children from weaning to prepubescence.
This last one is new and still controversial, since it did require a raise in taxes across the board.
* Within any town or shire, if someone has come upon hard times, there is a “10% rule.” That is, rather than tithes to the church, people put aside 10% of their goods and harvests as they can, and will give, generally, 1/3 of that to any they encounter who have come on hard times
(on the other hand, if someone is known to abuse that charity, there is a thing called the Jackal House, a very small building on the outskirts of town that has only the bare necessities to survive. If you find yourself escorted the Jackal House, you can know that you have tried the patience of a town and stretched their 10% further than they are willing to accept.
The primary manner one gets out of the Jackal House, save from moving to another town, is by performing some act of service for every member of the town. )
Questions? Thoughts? Tell me!