Apparently, what happens when I have too much time to think in a hotel.
“You put what in the shampoo?”
“I didn’t put it in the shampoo, I changed our contract to a company that put it in the personal care products.” Lorin wasn’t visibly on the defensive, yet, but there was a bit of a shoulder-shift going on.
“Okay, so, our contractor put what in the ‘personal care products?'” Auria was not at all mollified by Lorin’s “correction.”
“Pheromones. Not a lot, no, just a tiny bit. Just enough to make people who visit our hotel feel like they’re part of an in-group, part of a select clan. Just enough to make them breathe in and think ah, home about our hotel and our guests.” Lorin had clearly read all of the marketing material. Twice.
“Lorin. We are hosting a fantasy convention this weekend. Every room we were willing to book is triple-occupied if not quintuple-occupied, and that’s not counting the guests they think we don’t know about. So figure an average of 4.5 guests to each room. They’re almost all requesting extra toiletries. Extra towels. And they are spending all day in the main Conference Spaces. Do you see the problem? Do you see?”
Auria gestured broadly towards the lobby, not that she needed to. There were clearly two groups: those who had taken advantage of the toiletries and those who had not. Or so one could assume from the very tight gathering of one group and the far looser gathering on the other side, the smiles and slightly tilted heads vs. the slightly stand-offish body language, the more tidy costumes, in some cases, vs. not. Those who were in the first group were looking almost beatific. And those in the second were looking both left-out and irritated.
“So… you’re saying.” Lorin looked at Auria, then back at the lobby, then back at Auria, “that I should encourage the rest of them to try our new hand soap?”Want more?
A new setting, Unicorn/Factory colors an early industrial world, where the ravages of rampant production are being held off by unicorns.
This story has some dark themes – not just pollution, corruption, and the clash of industrialization & farming, but also the very real costs paid by the farming towns. It also encompasses, in some stories, (unicorn-based) rape and forced pregnancy, maiming, and murder.
- The Grey Line – Unicorn/Factory – for the Giraffe Call
- Talking it to death – Unicorn/Factory setting, for the Giraffe Call
- Unicorn Chase, a story of Unicorn/Factory for the Giraffe Call
- The Silver Road, a story of Unicorn/Factory for the Giraffe Call!
- Pure as… a story of Unicorn/Factory for the giraffe call
- Unicorn-Chased, a story of Unicorn/Factory for the January Giraffe Call
- Productive, a story of the Unicorn/Factory for the January Giraffe Call (@anke)
- Making Harvest Wreathes, a story of the Unicorn/Factory for the Feb. Giraffe Call
- The Governors, a continuation of the Unicorn/Factory for the January Giraffe Call
- Right and Wrong, , a continuation of the Unicorn/Factory for the January Giraffe Call (@anke)
- Unicorn-Chaste, a story of the Unicorn/Factory for the February Giraffe Call
- (Pat the Bunny) Stroke the Unicorn, a story of Unicorn/Factory for the Rabbit Safari
- The Black Unicorns of Cardenborn, a story of Unicorn/Factory for the Giraffe Call
- Change, a story of the Unicorn Factory for the Giraffe Call
- Strange, a story of the Unicorn/Factory for the Giraffe Call
- Unicorn Strokes
- Duty, a story of the Unicorn/Factory for the Giraffe Call
- One Year Ago/The Unicorn’s Gift
- The Problem, an Introduction to a story
- Unicorn/Factory: the Unicorn Bride Rebellion, Part I
- February is World Building Month. Day Nine: Unicorn/Factory
- February is World Building Month. Day Twenty-Four: Unicorn/Factory
- Unicorn Hair, a story of the Unicorn/Factory for the December OrigFic Bingo
- February is World Building Month; March is Catch-Up Day 27: Unicorn/Factory
- Far Weston, a continuation of sorts, of the Unicorn/Factory
- Take Me, a ficlet of Unicorn/Factory for the giraffe call
- Unicorn/Factory Landing Page Updated
- Cleaning House, a continuation of Unicorn/Factory
- Observing, a side story of the Unicorn/Factory
- The Black Bean, the beginning of something Unicorn/Factory
- Unicorn Truths – a story of Unicorn/Factory for Finish It! Bingo
- Landing Page: Unicorn/Factory
- (Range) Ladies’ Bingo: Transformation – The Unicorn/Factory & Ursel
- Far-Gone From the West, a continuation of Far Weston for Finish It Bingo